Business of Art: Visual Artists in Canada,
©2012. ISBN 978-0-9731049-2-9
Available at above email $20
or Amazon.ca in paperback $25, or e-book $7.59
The starting point is from the unique perspective of the Canadian independent visual artist who creates, and then seeks to identify and access the market appropriate to their art and their life-style. The book evolved out of the workshops on The Business of Art for Visual Artists, and from first-hand experience as an artist with exhibitions across Canada and internationally.
Books published on the business of art that discuss the unique Canadian legal and economic context are rare. American publications may have minimal if any reference to the Canadian visual arts industry context. For example, did you know that Canada is the only country in the world where public galleries, by law, must pay artists a fee for the use of any of their copyrights, including for exhibitions? The book covers these types of topics and much more, always in relation to the artists’ creative practice using everyday language.
Please view the Table of Contents list of 9 chapters, all topic headings, bibliography and appendices.
Artist Friendly Design:
- Soft-cover with acetate protectors. Perfect for the studio.
- Spiral bound. Leaves hands free while reading.
- Blank adjacent pages for sketches and notes beside topic headings.
- 11 by 8.5 inches, 56 pages
- Headings for each topic are listed in the Table of Contents by page number.
- Point-form written style for fast access to substance.
- Exercises outlined for each chapter.
- Photograph illustrations of the author's art installations and exhibitions complementary to the text.
- Bibliography with corresponding ISBNs
- Independent visual and media artists at all levels and in all mediums will find this textbook useful.
- Artists’ agents, cultural workers, arts administrators.
Return to top